My laundry room was in desperate need of help. It's not a large room but has ample space. It's also the mudroom and the main way we enter our house from the garage. It quickly gets cluttered with shoes, jackets, and backpacks along with all of the laundry. One of the biggest issues was the space next to the washer. No matter how many times I cleaned out that space it always went back to this.
So I began seaching Pinterest for laundry room ideas. I came across all these shelving units with baskets in the. Some were extremely huge and others were too complicated and expensive to make. So I came up with my own version that was easy and fairly inexpensive.
I purchased a wire shelving rack that went together very easily. I then purchased 6 clothes baskets...1 for each family member. I also put a basket on the top for towels. I created name labels for each family member using scrapbooking paper and laminated them. I attached them to the shelving unit with zip ties. There is no longer a hamper in the bathroom, so each person is now responsible for putting their dirty clothes in their basket. Here's what that side of the room looks like now.
Another inexpensive change that I made was on the countertop. It was this ugly 1970's yellow.
So I purchased a roll of contac shelf paper in a neutral color and covered the counter. It looks like it belongs in the room now.
One of the other trouble spots in the room was the shoe bench. It's this wooden bench that my mom gave me a long time ago. It has storage space in it and is great for storing shoes. It was also a great place for the kids to dump their stuff instead of putting it away.
I decided to move it around the corner to the dining room and free up some space in the mudroom. We'll still use it for shoe storage but hopefully it won't be so cluttered. In it's place I put a large basket for flip flops & slides. I also added a single chair that can be used if someone needs to sit down to take off shoes. It also keeps extra dining chairs close by for when we have company without cluttering up the dining room when they're not needed.
The final area of the mudroom/laundry room is for backpacks. I used this space for another extra dining chair as well.
So there is my laundry room/ mudroom make-over. The biggest expense was the shelving unit. It was $25. I also purchased 6 new laundry baskets for $3 each. The contac paper for the counter was $2. That brings the total cost to $45. I do want to add some artwork and sayings to the walls, but that will come later.
So after browsing Pinterest for some really good ideas on organizing, I decide to get busy and create a Command Central for the family. We currently have our cmputer armoire in the corner of the dining room but it wasn't big enough for what I wanted. So I decded to make use of another corner in the dining room that wasn't being used.
I moved in two desks from other parts of the house that weren't really being used. Then started gathering all of the office organization stuff that I had collected over the years. I then created a 4 month wall calendar using a poster frame, scrapbook paper and free printabl calendars.
It was another idea that I found on Pinterest. I of course put my own personal touch on it. And since I wasn't using the clear plastic from the poster frame on the calendar I decided to use it on the desk to put photos under.
The frame on the wall was a gift from my mom that I loved but just never had found a place for. It works great just above the desk displaying our family photos from Christmas.
While searching Pinterest I came across so many really neat signs and sayings about family. I decided to make my own. I found one that I really like and printed it out in poster format on my Kodak printer.I pieced it together and backed it with scrapbooking paper. I then purchased a frame on sale at Michael's and this is what I ended up with.
I grabbed my white board from the kitchen...which I had no idea was magnetic. Found some magnetic label holders that I had purchased at Goodwill for 69 cents. I used them to create daily, weekly and monthly areas of to do lists. I then added a cork board and the Command Center was done.
What I loved most about this project is that since I already had all of the supplies, it only cost me $10. I say that was money well spent.